post song problems here

Discuss topics on Progressive Rock Radio and Progressive Metal Radio !

Moderator: SteveM

BG

Post by BG »

Would now be the time to start donations in order to get you a bigger/extra harddrive ?

I feel that removing albums is maybe not the best solution, since hard drives are really not that expensive.

How must space would be enough to ensure growth for some time 1TB, 2TB ?

If 10 people would donate 10$ that should be enough for 1TB.
scout
Site Admin

Post by scout »

That's a good idea but I'm not sure the server will allow a larger hard drive than what's already in it. It has been rock solid machine so far but it's not exactly a spring chicken anymore in the 'puter world. The only thing that's failed in it since the station inception were a few power supplies. Anyhoo, I'm also hoping to sell off some of these underappreciated CDs in the near future and use the money for more NEW music.
ray

Post by ray »

Woud an external drive be an option? They're rather cheap also.
scout
Site Admin

Post by scout »

ray wrote:Woud an external drive be an option? They're rather cheap also.
That's a possibility though I'm not sure if it's a good permanent solution. Also many of the portable drives I've seen only work on XP or later operating systems.
BG

Post by BG »

What operating system are you running...Linux?

I agree that external drives may not always be the best solution, especially if they are USB drives.
USB may be too slow.

Maybe you could get a Firewire card for your machine, that should be fast enough, Firewire hard drives
are a little more expensive, but not much.

Another question. How would you choose the albums to remove, certainly age cannot be the selection factor.
Popularity, number of plays ? Maybe you could give a warning before anything is removed, then people could
have the option to give an opinion.
scout
Site Admin

Post by scout »

popularity factor = (# album plays / # number of plays of top album) x (average album rating / 5) x 100

I don't really see it as an issue that the unpopular stuff gets weeded out every now and then as I want to keep the station relevant to the listeners, but this is more of a philosophical debate about what Progulus should be. Honestly there's a lot of music on the station that is "so-so" and nobody has really said anything about CD removal up until this point.
Erpman

Post by Erpman »

Unless it's a server OS memory addressing problem, I don't see what the problem is with getting a new hard drive. As has already been said, memory is unbelievably cheap and even though I'd be happy to see lots of albums go and other ones appear to fill the large gaps that we have, I still don't think it's the right thing to do, because other people will like what I don't and we get new listeners all the time.
Fly

Post by Fly »

there's a bad rip on the Beyond Twilight album "Section X", song called Path of Darkness. in the middle of it, out of the blue, it skips to the end of the song.
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Random note, today I was looking to request a song, Scarred track 10 from Awake by Dream Theater, and it is MIA. The rest of the album is there and accounted for. I know you've had to delete some stuff, but I don't think that one song would fall under that umbrella :wink:
Needs more cowbell
MAVIII

Hi Scoutulus, another "merge" reQuest . . . :D

Post by MAVIII »

Hey there!

I always forget about this one . . .

How about a "Merge" of OSI's "The New Math (What he said)" and "OSI", I dont even know why Moore seperated
the Tracks for :P

. . . is that doable Mr. PrOgulus? :D
DarkSoul676

Redemption's Snowfall on Judgement Day Album misspelling

Post by DarkSoul676 »

Hey Scout, noticed that the song "Another Day Dies" is spelt "Aother Day Dies".

Figured I'd let you know on the spelling error. :D
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

One I've been meaning to mention for a while. Kamelot's Elisabeth on Karma. The song itself is 13 and some change, but the track is 19. The last bit is just dead air (used to separate the bonus song, I hate how they did that) perhaps you could bring out the electric trimmers and fix er up, I love the song, but don't request it for the long pause.
Needs more cowbell
DB

Post by DB »

Some more Kamelot. I noticed that all the parts of "Poetry for the Poisoned" from the same album are merged so that's good, but I think "Dear Editor" and "The Zodiac" should also be joined together, since the first is a spoken-word intro to the actual song.
MAVIII

Dear Editor/Zodiac

Post by MAVIII »

. . . hmm,

Sounds like a song about the "Zodiac Killer" (As he used to send his "Clues" to a San Francisco Newspaper).
I'll have to take a request and listen to that . . .

Plus, heres a Merge I always forget about:
On Maidens "Powerslave", Their is the Erie SoundFX that come before "Powerslave (the Song)" but for
some reason are part of the END/after song has finished from the previous Track ("Back in the Village"),
this may be difficult to do but I thought I'd request it.
Thanks for the consideration once again ;).
DB

Post by DB »

Still related to Kamelot (lol), something I didn't notice til just now, the song title for "Poetry for the Poisoned" has a mistake. It says "Poisned".